Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does system restore can do?

2 posters

:: Downloads

Go down

What does system restore can do? Empty What does system restore can do?

Post by capricornJZ Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:42 am

System Restore is a component of most of the operating systems of Microsoft, like Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 that allows for the rolling back of system files, registry keys, installed programs, etc. to a previous state in the event of malfunctioning or failure.
A limitation which applies to System Restore in Windows versions prior to Windows Vista is that only certain file types and files in certain locations on the volume are monitored, therefore unwanted software installations and especially in-place software upgrades may be incompletely reverted by System Restore. Consequently, there may be little or no practical beneficial impact. Certain issues may also arise when attempting to run or remove that application. In contrast, various other utilities have been designed to provide much more complete reversal of system changes including software upgrades. Frequent or continuous monitoring may also adversely affect system performance, whereas System Restore's restore points are generally created quickly and sparingly.
If there is no adequate free space, System Restore will fail to create a restore points. In this case, the user may discover that there is not a single restore point available with which to restore the system.
It is not possible to create a permanent restore point. All restore points will be deleted after a few days as allotted disk space is consumed by automatic restore points. Consequently, if a user does not notice a new problem within a few days, it may be too late to restore to a configuration from before the problem arose.
For data integrity purposes, System Restore does not allow other applications or users to modify or delete files in the directory where the restore points are saved. Since its method of backup is fairly simplistic, it may end up archiving malicious software such as a virus, worm or other types of malware. In this case, the anti-virus software may be unable to remove the infected files. The only way to delete the infection is to disable System Restore, which will result in losing all saved restore points, or simply wait until Windows deletes the older restore points. Moreover, if an infected set of files is restored, the virus may end up getting restored as well.
Changes made to a volume from another OS (in case of dual-boot OS scenarios) cannot be monitored. Also, a compatibility issue exists with System Restore when dual-booting Windows XP/Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista or later operating systems. Specifically, the shadow copies on the volume are deleted when the older operating system accesses (and therefore mounts) that NTFS volume. This happens because the older operating system does not recognize the newer format of persistent shadow copies.
System Restore is not 100% safe. After the process, sometimes we cannot restore the file we need or even lost some other files like photos, videos, etc. At that time, you can try to use a good data recovery application or call the professional data recovery experts.

capricornJZ
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2010-06-10

Back to top Go down

What does system restore can do? Empty ipadgeek

Post by ipadgeek Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:58 pm

Upon further investigation, I believe Oct. 20th is when card holders can begin getting the discount.iPhone copy

ipadgeek
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Number of posts : 5948
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ipadgeek Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:25 am

I can't stand that Howard Stern. I've never heard his show, but I hear he is repulsive. Him and his whack pack of friends can go to hell. Gary the , Maryanne from Brooklyn, Jeff the Drunk,……convert dvd to ipad

ipadgeek
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by ipadgeek Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:27 pm

I can't wait for the iPhone on Verizon to become a reality. Not because I wish to switch (I don't) – just so I don't have to read any more rumors about it. Oh, and offloading some of AT&T's network demand when a certain percentage of customers jump ship to Verizon will be a nice bonus! video to mp3 converter I can't wait till it comes out aonir shuts all keyboards up. Keep your crap service your stupid comments " I'm true to my company" You ain't nothing but a phone bill to them. Don't get mad. Everyone in the world iPhone is on different networks. Who wouldnt they eventually bring to another network in the states

ipadgeek
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Back to top Go down

What does system restore can do? Empty Re: What does system restore can do?

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down